Frequently Asked Questions - General
You need to know your Device ID to register it. How do you determine it? [ Short answer for a brand new device: activate it. Open WiFi settings on your phone. Your device id is the nnnnn number of the SASensor-nnnnn network. ]
To detemine your device id, it needs to be placed in configuration mode. A brand new device will enter this mode when Activated
Activation of MySpool Devices
- CALLME Button: Press the button for 2 seconds. The faint blue light serves as an indicator that the button is in a configuration mode.
- GAS Alert: Plug it in. The faint blue light visible when the screw mounting plate has been removed serves as an indicator that the sensor is in a configuration mode.
- MAILBOX Alert: Separate the sensor parts for 2 seconds. The magnet part must be at least an inch away from the switch part - that's the one with the wires connected to screws if your model is an externally mounted one. The Internal Mailbox Alert has it's switch attached to the case with wires going inside.
- WATER Alert: Plug it in. The faint blue light visible through a slit in the box serves as an indicator that the sensor is in a configuration mode.
After your device has been activated, read it's Device ID:
Open your phone, go to Settings, and choose Wi-Fi. Under the CHOOSE A NETWORK tab you will see available networks. One of them will be your MySpool Device. It will look like SASensor-000000 where "000000" is the unique Device ID. In the example on the right it is shown as SASensor-2336877. The Device ID is 2336877.
What is pushbullet and how do I set it up on my device?
Pushbullet is a third-party platform. Please be aware that we do not provide support for it. If you want to setup pushbullet on your laptop, pc, or your phone, we will attempt to forward your event to pushbullet. Having said that, we think it is a great resource for push notifications and we make it available to use alongside email and SMS notifications. It is easy enough to configure and see if you find it useful.
To setup pushbullet notifications:
- Login to your pushbullet account
- Go to Settings to get your Access Token : https://www.pushbullet.com/#settings
- If there is no Access Token visible, click on Create Access Token
- You will see
5. Copy your Access Token and paste it into your Myspool.com device configuration. Save it. You can now trigger your device and test your pushbullet notifications.
Please note that Myspool limits the number of pushbullet notifications sent to one every 5 minutes. So you may need to wait for 5 minutes to get a second notification.
All MySpool devices are subject to notification throttling. This is done for two reasons: one is to prevent flooding communications with unnecessary messages. And the second one is to save us some money: we have to pay for every text message!
Each device is allotted 300 text messages per month. In case of repeating alerts within a certain interval, that interval will be increased. When the issue has been resolved, the alert interval will be reset back to the original 5 minutes.
Here are the details on how the text interval is managed:
The first two messages are sent at 5 minute intervals
If there is an alert that comes within 5 minutes of the previous one, the alert interval is increased to 15 minutes
After that, if there is an alert that comes within 15 minutes of the previous one, the alert interval is increased to 30 minutes
After that, if there is an alert that comes within 30 minutes of the previous one, the alert interval is increased to 60 minutes
And the next alert that will indicate that no action has been taken will cause the alert interval to increase to 6 hours. It will stay there until the break between alerts is over 6 hours which will reset it back to 5 minutes.
This will limit the number of messages sent when someone leaves a water alert in a cup of water for testing and leaves it there for a few days - as has been known to happen!
There is one critical caveat to this formula: we understand that an initial setup and testing period is important. So this throttling takes effect 24 hours AFTER your device has been ADDED. This gives our users a day to configure and test their devices without imposing any throttling!